Friday, December 08, 2006

We call her "Fluffernuts"

Ethel on the Chaise with a ball

My lovely wife expressed concerns that Lucy and Ethel, our two other girls, might have hurt feelings because I hadn't written about them. This Morning Ethel, the 10 year old brown and White Freckled girl we rescued in 1998, decided it was a good day to give me a scare.

At 545AM, I let the girls out for their morning potty break. The temp was in the single digits, the wind was blowing, so I didn't think they would take too long. I packed my wife's lunch and made her tea, and when I went to the door, Sally and Lucy didn't hesitate to charge in.
But Ethel? No where in sight. I crept out into the yard, looking all over. No Ethel in sight.

Two big concerns here. Ethel is Deaf, and her sight isn't that great. She also ignores the shock from her invisible fence collar. In fact, we think she likes it, but that's another post another day.

So if she wandered out of the yard in the dark, It's not a good thing. I rushed back in the house, threw on my coat and hooded jacket, and headed back out. She was at the door waiting to get in. Where did she go? What did she do? that's her little secret.

Our Niece once called her Snuffalofagus, because she was soft and cuddly like her snuffalofagus toy, so we sometimes call her "Snuffy", but out of the blue one day, my wife called her "fluffernuts" and it stuck. She is the most passive, affectionate, and loving dog I have ever had in my life. If something ever happened to her, I admit I would be crushed.

Just as there was only one Fred, One Sally, and as I will write soon, one Lucy, there is only one Ethel, or "Fluffernuts."

No comments: